Sunday, September 8, 2019

3 Part Series: Part 1 Helping Teachers Verbally Command their Classroom

Have you ever observed a teacher who was suggesting to her students that they listen to her? Or was asking for their permission to teach? Or was giving them a choice in a way that helped the teacher lose authority over the classroom?

Here’s what it sounds like: Do you think you could start on your bell work? Can we all focus? Does anyone think they know the answer? Let’s all have a seat, okay? This is what it looks like: Students call out “Okay!” Students may or may not follow the directions. The teacher gets frustrated by the lack of adherence to directions.

As a teacher, I used to do this in my own classroom. Fortunately I had a great principal who quickly pointed this out to me and helped me rephrase some of my questions. As I gained more experience as a teacher, and took on roles outside the classroom, I noticed how other teachers asked questions in the same way I used to. I offered some suggestions on how to change their phrasing, but didn’t have the tools and knowledge to share during those years. After being in an instructional coaching position, I have learned valuable methods and have obtained helpful resources that help me better coach teachers. Most recently, I was coaching a beginning teacher on not giving up verbal authority in her classroom. As I tried to find specific research for her to read, I realized there wasn’t too much about this topic. I decided to write this blog as a three part series in hopes of it helping other instructional coaches help teachers who may have this same tendency.

The first blog in this series will focus on what I did to build a relationship with this beginning teacher and how I went about bringing her verbal suggestions to her attention. The second blog will explain how I collected data. The final installment of this three-part blog will help you to understand how to help the teacher shift from using verbal suggestions to verbal commands.

My method for helping this beginning teacher is guided by what I have learned in the OCPS Professional Learning's Advanced Coaching Academy, which is rooted in the teaching of Jim Knight and in conjunction with the UF Lastinger Center.


Part 1: Building a Relationship with the Beginning Teacher

Pre-planning is usually the time I get to meet all of the teachers who are either new to our school or new to teaching. I keep good communication with the staff member in charge of processing new hires to our school to make sure I have their names and positions. On the first day back, I circulate the room before the first meeting of the day and introduce myself and get to know the new teachers a little. I also introduce the new teachers to at least one other member of their PLC (Professional Learning Community) if they haven’t met them already. Also on this first day back, I lead a meeting for new teachers/teachers new to our school. This meeting includes a checklist I created with actions to do that are second nature to returning teachers, a school tour and a time to team build. The goal is to help these teachers get acquainted with the campus and the initial understanding of our school’s goals, vision and culture. During this meeting, I ask this group to stand in a circle and we share something that we are excited about and something that is making us nervous. Then I open it up for questions. These questions can be anything they are wondering about. Sometimes the topics range from special themed dress days to how to request a substitute. I take notes during this share time and let them know I’ll get the answers to questions I’m not sure of, but I also take note of certain situations that may need extra assistance.

On day two of pre-planning, I facilitate a meeting where PLCs create norms for their meetings. I suggest that new teachers/new to our school attend with their PLCs. The beginning teacher I am working with in regards to this blog, attends with her PLC, which gives me another opportunity to continue building a relationship with her. I was able to hear what she values as a norm and observe how she interacts with her new colleagues.

On one of the other days of pre-planning, I am able to sit with her and one of her PLC members to plan for her first week of school. She brings ideas and we discuss some that I have shared with our staff in a shared Google folder. During this time, we learn more about each other and make some connections. Teaching is her second career, so in addition to learning all there is to learn about being a first year teacher; she will also be enrolled in an alternative certification program. I make a mental note to check in on her frequently to help her monitor her workload.

The next week, students return and this beginning teacher is quickly introduced to the demands and excitement of teaching. During pre-planning, I shared a calendar template I created using Google sheets, where teachers can sign up for my assistance with anything. I do this to convey to teachers that they are my first priority and that they can ask for my help during any open time slots on my calendar. This beginning teacher reaches out to me at the end of the second day of school and asks if I could come into her most two most challenging classes. I ask her what she wants me to look for. She shares how she has some behavior challenges and is having a difficult time getting students to listen to her, despite asking multiple times. I happily agree to come in the next day and we set a time to meet afterwards using my calendar. I regularly check in on the new teachers to our school, but I also love when they take the initiative to ask for help. I was looking forward to seeing this new teacher in action. The second blog in this three part series describes the process necessary to guide this teacher to be more effective in her classroom.

2 comments: